Thursday, October 20, 2011

School at Home

Well, to be honest, I really never thought this would be something that I would blog about, but that's exactly where we are today. We have decided to homeschool.

We started this year trying out a local school, and after 5 weeks, we decided that it just wasn't right for our family. I was quite reluctanct to give homeschooling a try, but I really felt that was exactly what I was supposed to do, so we took the plunge.

That was 5 weeks ago, and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it is going for us. Not every day is great, and there are definitely those times when I feel "stuck" at home, but for the most part it has been enjoyable with much less stress than the busyness of going to school. I can tell that we are all more relaxed...and with that comes a more pleasant environment. So...so far, so good. More to come on this topic, I'm sure.


Thank goodness we were able to get the basement done this summer! Here we are at "school".




And, one of the advantages of homeschooling is freedom! We were able to take advantage of a free day at the zoo. The girls enjoyed a day with friends and wild animals (both in cages and out!). I'm looking forward to many more field trips!






4 comments:

Rikki Kreger said...

That's awesome, Deb! I hope you guys have a great school year! I LOVE homeschooling!!!!!

Thomas said...

Whoo Hoo! Good for you and your family, Deb. I can't say I LOVE homeschooling everyday, but it was definately the right choice for our family. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd love to help you along on your journey. Blessings!
Cindy Hogan
ps your school room looks great!

Thomas said...

Whoops. Guess I am logged in under Thomas' profile. Yep. Homeschool.

Jennifer said...

Deb - great blog post and love your homeschool set up! By the way - I'm stealing a few of your photos as I was busy wrangling my 18 month old and trying to keep him from jumping off the train!
Jen Essington