Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life's Lessons

This week I have been tragically reminded of the brevity of life, and that each day is truly a gift from God. Last Wednesday, May 21st, a friend of mine lost her baby, Avery (21 months old), when she was struck by a car. Our entire church family has been devastated by the loss, and we are grieving for our friend, Jeanie. We are comforted by the knowledge that God has taken Avery from Jeanie for a short time to fulfill His purposes on this earth. We pray that some of her family members will come to know Christ through Avery's death. And then we rejoice in the fact that we will see Avery in heaven someday, and Jeanie will have the rest of eternity with her precious little girl. If you are reading this, please hold Jeanie and her family in your prayers.

Then, this past Sunday, May 25th, a terrible tornado ripped through northern Iowa, close to where we used to live. A friend of mine from K.C. was visiting another friend in Iowa when the tornado came through. She was holding onto her 3 little girls as the tornado completely destroyed and swept away the house above her. By God's grace, all of them are safe, but definitely shaken. Please pray for Marlena and her 3 girls as they deal with this frightening experience.

So, you can now see that I'm a little shaken myself. I am confident that the Lord's return is near and we are told that there will be considerable suffering in the last days. With that truth I can't help but think, what's next? I can only choose to trust the Lord and embrace the fact that God wants me and my family on this earth for the moment, to serve Him and further His Kingdom, but He may choose to take me, my kids, or my husband to Him at any moment...again for the purpose of furthering His Kingdom. I choose to trust Him and not live in a spirit of fear, and I will continue to recite this verse to myself:
"For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Live boldly for Christ while you have the chance, and thank Him every day for your loved ones. Those sleepless nights and temper tantrums don't seem so bad after all.

1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

Deb, both of these families have been in my prayers. it is a devastating reminder to live each day as though it may be the last - and for the Lord.