O.k., so we had a pretty rough morning...but it could've been worse, I guess. (At least they're not removing her arm or something!) So, we got to the Pediatric Dentist this morning at 8 AM, and it was a battle from the beginning. The Dentist had to come in and actually force the little x-ray thingy into her mouth (Ashlyn wouldn't open up...and the nurses were too nice), but she got one good picture, so that was all she needed. Turns out that Ashlyn broke her tooth in 2 places, so there was no way that baby could stay in there. And then the other 3 around it are pretty bruised, so we'll have to watch those closely for discoloration.
(The whole time she's trying to talk through things with me, Ashlyn is climbing all over the dentist chair...up and down, back and forth, standing up and trying to jump off of it...typical Ashlyn antics.)
So, the Dentist's suggestion was to numb her up real good and get it out as quickly as possible. (Evidently laughing gas, etc. doesn't always work well with little ones.) The hardest part was that since Ashlyn is such a mover and a fighter...and she's only 2, we had to wrap her in this thing to restrain her (basically a straight jacket)...which of course she hated. So, as soon as she was put in that thing she screamed at the top of her lungs and kicked, thrashed around, anything she could do to get out. You probably get the picture, but it was pretty traumatic for both of us. The Dentist reassured me that she wasn't in pain (she numbed her up as much as an adult, just in case), but Ashlyn just hated being restrained. We really didn't have any other choice though, there was no way I could have held her down. Anyway, the tooth is out. I'm just so sad that for about 5 years now, she won't have a tooth. But, again, there are worse things to be missing.
She'll still be cute, sweet, energetic, little Ashlyn.

4 comments:
Oh Deb, that would be so hard on any parent. I am so sorry you guys had to go through that; I'm glad it's over, too. Keep us informed about the other teeth, okay?
Okay, not laughing anymore, now crying. I know how hard that was. I am so sorry!! I can totally imagine her climbing all over the place and trying to jump off the chair though :) NEED a post toothectomy picture now! Poor sweetie!
Travis
So Sorry, Deb. I know that Vicki was sad when Abby had to have a bottom tooth removed when she was (3?) Young anyways - considering the adult teeth don't come until they're 7 or so :) But she will be adorable!! It always takes a while to get used to those new smiles...praying she feels better soon!
Deb,
So sorry about that!!
How hard to have to do but she will still be just as adorable - just minus one tooth!!
How is she feeling?
Post a Comment