In celebration of Thanksgiving this week, I thought I would post a poem that my grandmother wrote. I think it's funny. :)
Repeated Revenge
by Mary Helen Anderson
November 19, 1956
November 19, 1956
I eat Turkey meat every chance I get
'Cause a great big gobbler I once met.
When I went into the lot
Where he was the King, he thought,
He spread his wings and fanned the ground
Gobbled loud and strutted around.
I said, "I'm not scared of you, Ol' Tom,
Nothing scares me but an atom bomb!"
Jeepers, creepers, his charge was quick
Like TNT on a pogo stick!
That ol' wrinkled head with its long, red snout
Could pick my bones, I had no doubt.
I'll never forget that ominous note,
The gobble that comes from a gobbler's throat.
He hit the fence and tore my suit
As I went over without one boot.
I called Grandpa to bring the ax
A turkey so angry should relax.
Relax he did on Thanksgiving table.
I like turkey - even with a label.
Revenge on Tom and his kin repeated
When every Thanksgiving is completed.
And here's the spunky lady, my Grammie
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I wish you special times with your loved ones as you thank God for all the blessings He's given us.

3 comments:
The poem is great! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving too!
aThat is a great poem! Was she really attacked by a turkey? Sorry, I am dense sometimes! Happy Thanksgiving...see you next week! We need to firm up some plans!
YES!!! SO much fun! I will never forget the impact she had on MY young life when we would go spend a week with her on her farm...I remember sitting on the bed and reading The "Reader's Digest," each taking turns reading stories out loud as she would tell us what good readers we were...learning how to knit, (it didn't stick), eating homemade plum jam...How angry she was when she had to pump her won gas...and Oh, the infamous lecture about waving at cars right before she gave us our little jelly bean jars. What great memories. (I have more, but will save them for later.)
Post a Comment